Saturday, November 20, 2004

snow

I love snow. I always have and I'm pretty sure I always will. Everytime it snows I always remember back to something that happened when I was a lot younger. I think I was about six and my brother four. We were in our room fighting, which was nothing all that unusual. I guess we stopped to catch our breath or something because we heard a droor open in the kitchen. Of course we assumed that since we were fighting it must be the one with the wooden spoon in it. Even though we never got spanked for fighting I guess we didn't think about that. So then we had something new to fight about. "You're going to get a spanking. No, you're going to get a spanking. No you are. NO YOU ARE!!!" Then came the dreaded, "Melody and Luke, come out here." We stopped our fighting and slowly walked out to the kitchen. As we came in my mom looked at us and said, "look guys, it's snowing!" I don't think I'd ever been so relieved in my life.
One of my friends and I always phone eachother every winter at the first sight of snow. She used to live in Matsqui so I would always phone her and brag that we had snow and they didn't. I think she is the only other person I know who loves snow as much as I do.
One year I was out doing work experience when it started to snow. I was with a lady who hated the snow which kind of put a damper on it but I was so excited I didn't really care.
And then there was the time when I was with one of the little girls that I babysit. This time it was spring and there was a lot of pollen floating in the air. She looked up at the sky and with a huge smile on her face said, "it's snowing!" I thought that was kind of cute.
I guess maybe one of the reasons I love snow so much is that it brings back so many good memories. I used to live in Ontario and so for a good quarter of the year snow was my life. I remember getting all dressed up in warm clothes and sliding down the patio stairs on our sled. I remember my brother and I making a snow slide and not letting anyone else on it. I remember the fancy patterns the ice used to make on the insides of our windows. I also remember the time I licked an icicle and my tongue got stuck to it. I was so suprised I just ripped it off. That's maybe not such a good memory but it makes me laugh. Anyway, enough on the snow. I could go on forever...

5 comments:

Susy said...

I hope it doesn't snow!
-Love, The Snow Nazi

Sue said...

I think I know who your friend from matsqui was. Isn't she my new daughter in law. She phones us now too. Snow is wonderful. My brother and I tried to be the first one to spot the snow every year. "Marty, look it's snowing! Ha ha fooled ya!"

Susan Kirchmayer said...

yeah - my girls and i all phone each other when it starts snowing - we even phone each other when there's a christmas show on too.

Melody said...

yeah sushi, the friend i was talking about is nicole. we've been phoning eachother on the first snowfall for years.

MUD said...

snow...uncool