Monday, August 23, 2004

kiya

I have to put Kiya down in a couple days. It is going to be so hard.....it is already hard. I've had her for three years. When I was younger I would write "puppy" on every single one of my birthday and christmas lists. I would circle it and put a huge star by it so everyone would know that a puppy was what I wanted most in the whole world. Then, a couple of weeks before my 19th birthday, I got home from work and there was a little black puppy under one of the tables in our living room. I fell in love with her immediately and decided to name her Kiya. She was terrible as a puppy, constantly getting into trouble. She chewed the noses off any stuffed animals I left lying around, but I still loved her.It didn't get better until she turned two. There was a time when I had to fight just to keep her. I had to find her a different home for a while and I thank that family (you know who you are) for taking her in and loving her. Now, a year later, I have to put her down. She has cancer, she has for a while, but now it is getting a lot worse. I hate to put her down but I just can't see her suffer any more. She has been a great dog and I've had so many good times with her and I will miss her so much, but it is time.....

5 comments:

James Goudie said...

Kiya is a great dog, but sometimes you have to do what is best for her. We had a little puppy at one time, she got this disease that the vets couldn't treat. she was getting very sick. she would be throwing up all the time. Her name was "Lady". We took her to the vet, paid liots of bills and the vets told us she was just getting worse. so they recommended we bring her back into our home to see if our presence would help her recover. it did spark her and she was very happy but still struggling. so we had to put her down. We also had another dog, you may have known him. His name was "Spike". I think we had him for like 13 years or so, great dog. was very hiper all through his life. but one day we couldn't find him. He was collapsed outside in our yard. His back hips gave way. very sad, we brought him inside, stayed with him and tried to get him to stand. he would try with all his might, but he couldn't. we had to put him down too. so i know what you are going through.

Shannon George said...

I Love You!!! I'm glad you have the courage to put her down, because it is such a hard thing to do... I hope you'll find a ray of sunshine in this gloomy hour in knowing that she will get to run again, she'll get to play, she won't suffer anymore, and she'll be happy again with Jesus... now's she's with candy, tiger, and domino... they are all up there waiting for her.... keep care dear.... love you lots... shannon

Susy said...

And then there was Baby, we had her for a good portion of my life... and we had to put her down a few months ago after she had a massive siesure. I remember that day like it was yesturday. Because she was acting really weird. everybody was outside, but i was inside working on some project well she came right to me laid down right beside me touching my feet. I knew something was wrong, so i hugged her for a bit told her how special she was and that i loved her. Then i decided to go upstairs, so i picked her up and carried her upstairs with me... she wasn't a small dog either.. but i just knew she needed to be with me and it was hard for her to climb stairs. I put her on the couch and a few minutes later as i sat watching TV she started shaking and foaming at the mouth, almost falling off the couch. The only thing i could do was keep her from falling and yell for Mom.
It was very sad, we all cried as we were in the Vet's office and they were preparing to put her to sleep.
I sympathise with you Mel, i know it's a difficult thing to put an animal down, they are like a part of the family... even like a child.
Kiya is a good dog and she's cute too... i will miss her.

Shannon George said...

I love you.... i'm glad you found the courage to put her down, because it is so hard to do... I hope you find a ray of hope in this gloomy time... remember that she will be happy again, she won't have pain anymore, she'll be able to play again, and be able to terrorize all the other animals like she likes... please keep your chin up.... she's safe now.... I was told when Penny died that God is holding his hand out, all you have to do is let go... he'll take good care of her, just like he's taking good care of my penny, your candy, domino ,and tiger.... love you lots shannon

Anonymous said...

A